Monday, September 10, 2007

Kool-Aid Pickles - yummy treat? or not!


Recently I saw in our local paper a recipe for Kool-Aid pickles. I'm not a big fan of Kool-Aid, but I do like pickles, so I clipped it. Last weekend my parents were visiting so we decided to try them (my parents have also been experimenting with pickling recipes, so I guess this was sort of an extension of that).

Basically you drain a larger jar of whole pickles, cut them in half, then mix 2 packages of Kool-Aid (or the store brand stuff, if you're cheap like me) with 1 cup of sugar and 2 cups of water. Then pour the Kool-Aid mixture over the pickles in the jar, put them in the refrigerator for 24 hours and voila! They are ready. But are they good?

None of my kids were excited about them, even my pickle lovers, but being the good mother that I am, I made them try them, much to their chagrin. Well, no one liked them. I thought they were ok - kind of a cross between bread and butter and dill pickles - surprise, surprise, but not worth keeping. So now they are no more. But my question is who thinks of this kind of stuff? Someone who apparently is far more creative with food than I ever will be.

No comments: