
I am slowly making my way through John Piper's book Desiring God. I've been reading a chapter on worship and was struck by what I read this morning. "For many, Christianity has become the grinding out of general doctrinal laws from collections of biblical facts. But childlike wonder and awe have died. The scenery and poetry and music of the majesty of God have dried up like a forgotten peach at the back of the refrigerator."
I think this quote unfortunately describes me quite well. I am great at cranking out the Bible studies, but I think my wonder and awe of God have waned over time. How often am I simply in awe of God, basking in His presence? How often do I take the time to "be still" and know that He is God? (Psalm 46:10) I am usually busy doing something, and if I am still, I am engaged in an activity that doesn't involve God. That is going to be my prayer - to have my childlike wonder and awe of God restored.
1 comment:
Child-like wonder and awe of God?
=]
travel.
Go to places of wonder and beauty, to waterfalls and mountains, to plains of sand and ice, to the highest altitude in a hot air balloon and deep under the earths crust, in mines and caves.
See the beauty that is Gods creation, and if that doesnt inspire your awe and wonderment, I really don't know what will =]
xxxxx
Post a Comment