Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The "cost" of generosity

This afternoon my 7 yo daughter wanted to go buy a gift for her hard-working daddy. The plus is that a new Wal-Mart opened just a couple of miles away from us. We didn't have any grocery stores within 5 miles of us until the Wal-Mart opened. Yes, I am one of those spoiled people that lives barely in the country, but still very close to suburbia.

The minus is that I already had some things going on and didn't really want to go. I had just gone grocery shopping, so there was nothing in it for me. Selfish me.

Well, I decide to go, just because I love my daughter. I tried to tell her that Daddy would be just as happy with a card, but she wanted to buy him gum. She is willing to spend some of her hard-earned money (she doesn't have much of an income) to please her father, even though it means she will have to wait a little longer to buy a Webkinz. So off we go. Since we were going, I went ahead and decided to pick up a couple of things to go with dinner.


Once in the store, we need to find the long packs of gum - you know, the Wrigley's gum that comes in a long wrapper with 10 to a package. I mentioned that Daddy would be fine with one big pack. Nope, gotta have the 10 pack. We found one with 5 packages of gum - wouldn't do. So we head to the candy aisle where we find the coveted 10 pack.

She wants to pay first, so she takes her thrice folded $10 bill out and gives it to the cashier, I buy my groceries, and we get home not 20 minutes after leaving. I am so glad I took that small amount of time out of my schedule so my little girl can honor her daddy's hard work. He now has a several week supply of Doublemint, thanks to my daughter's generosity. Why I don't seize opportunities like this, I don't know. It was such a little sacrifice, the cost of my time, but it meant so much to my daughter.

And generosity has its benefits - Rebecca asked her Daddy a little later if she could have a couple of pieces of gum. :-)


No comments: